Identifying Black-Tailed Prairie Dogs
Application is restricted to the period from October 1st through March 15.
- 9 – 16 inches in length
- Sandy-brown to cinnamon hair with black tips. Belly color is lighter cream to white.
- Black or white tips on the tails, depending on breed. Kaput-D Prairie Dog Bait and Kaput Combo Prairie Dog Bait can only be used for control of black-tailed prairie dogs.
- Can be found on grasslands, rangelands, and short shrub-land habitats. Tend to avoid tall grass, brush or forest like areas
- Most commonly discovered by raised mounds that lead into the burrows and also serve as observation posts for predators and their vocalizations that have been likened to a barking dog
- Prairie Dogs are herbivores but have been known to cannibalize the young of others
- Prairie dogs are also very susceptible to bubonic plague from the fleas they carry which can be passed onto humans thru a flea bite
- Reproduction begins the Spring after birth, 28 – 32 days gestation period with litters of 4 – 8
- One litter per year
Restricted Use Pesticide
*** We require a copy of an Applicator’s License for purchase. Must purchase in-store ONLY ***